Make Working From Home Work For You
Whether you work one day from home or permanently here's some great tips to make sure you're making home work for you!
1. Start each day like you're going to work. While it may be tempting to have a lie in, try getting up the same time you would and do some housework or other tasks that may distract you throughout the day. Take a shower, dress smartly and have breakfast. Set yourself professional standard so that you are in the right mind-set for the rest of the day.
2. Set up your office. It is crucial that you create a dedicated space to work in that is comfortable, private and exposed to as few distractions as possible. This space is yours, so make it personal! You're going to be spending a lot of time there.
You should have all your tools, like your computer, phone and printer, in one place. Setting up your office also means setting up boundaries with the people (and even pets) you share your home with. Set up rules so that everyone understands when you are available and when you are not.
3. Think about when you do your best work, and plan accordingly. If you're a morning person, start working on the most difficult and unpleasant tasks of the day first. We all have tasks we're not wild about, whether we're working for ourselves or someone else.
4. Make a strict schedule, and stick to it. The knowledge that you can work whenever will tempt you, but in the long run, you will be much more productive if you follow the schedule you set for yourself.
5. Stay connected. Working from home can be lonely, but it doesn't have to be. Turn on Skype and get in the habit of using it.
It doesn't take much effort to check in with the people you work with, and your relationships will benefit from it. Being on camera is an added incentive to look your best! When you're able to see people, they don't seem so far away.
6. Make sure to "close the door" at the end of the day. This can be very hard to do. It's easy to keep working long after the hours you've set for yourself have passed. After all, your office is as easily accessible on the weekend as it is during the week.
Leave a comment...