Subscribe to our newsletter
September 26th, 2018
Our 2nd CSR Project of 2018 happened this week as ACS colleagues went to donate blood at Bradford Donor Centre.
Corporate Social Responsibility is a huge focus for us this year and we are committed to our causes, pledging to complete at least four community projects per year. As Managing Director, Mike Hussain, explains “whether it’s landscaping a care home garden, training our apprentices, or committing to other fundraising initiatives, the team continue to put 100% into it.” And this time we really have put ourselves into it- literally – by giving blood! Each of our pints of blood we donated means that we saved up to 3 lives and boy, do we feel proud of ourselves!
We all went to the centre together as a business and supported each other
* The average person has 8 pints of blood.
* Women can donate every 16 weeks .
* Men can donate every 12 weeks.
* 6,000 blood donations are needed every day to treat patients in need across England.
* Your body makes about 2 million new red cells every second.
* Blood volume makes up approximately 8% of your body weight.
* About 55% of blood is comprised of plasma, of which 90% is water.
* The body replaces all of its lost blood volume within 48 hours after donating blood; the replenishment of red blood cells takes a little more time, about four to eight weeks’ worth.
* It has been proven to reduce stress and improve your general mental health
* It provides a sense of belonging and a great sense of pride (I felt like a hero!)
* Lower risk of cancer if you regularly donate blood
* Lower risk of heart disease if you regularly donate blood
* Every time you donate you lose 650 calories (so that Penguin biscuit afterwards is guilt-free!)
Our very own Luke Nelson had a lifesaving blood transfusion just 2 years ago.
After feeling ill, Luke visited his GP who then personally drove him to hospital because he recognised how seriously ill he was. Once at hospital Luke received a blood transfusion of 4 pints of blood which literally saved his life. The doctors said if he hadn’t had the blood transfusion when he did, he would have had a heart attack.This shows just how important blood donation is and what a difference it can make.
Donor centres are crying out for more people to help and always need more donors from all blood groups and types. There is a particularly need for more people from Asian, black and minority ethnic communities- so if this applies to you don't delay and get yourselves signed up on blood.co.uk today!
Find out more about our Corporate Social Responsibility by visiting our dedicated CSR website.